Friday, February 18, 2011

Massive flaw in National Cyber Olympiad Online Examination!

Want to get very high rank in National Cyber Olympiad(NCO) organized by the Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF)?
I discovered a flaw in class 8 which has been helping me and all my friends to get very good ranks in the second round of NCO which is an online examination format. I had it in my mind to mail the SOF  anonymously telling them about this flaw which I did now.

So here is that original mail which I mailed to the SOF which should make matters more clear:
SUBJECT: MASSIVE FLAW IN NCO ONLINE EXAM.

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am a student of class 12. I have been giving the National Cyber Olympiad since
i was in class 8 and have qualified all subsequent years for the second round
which is an online test format. But I considered this to be my responsibility to
inform you about a MASSIVE FLAW IN THE ONLINE EXAMINATION FORMAT WHICH IS ENOUGH TO DESTROY ITS LEGITIMACY.
I discovered this bug in the software independently when i was in class 8 and
since then I have used it all subsequent years to secure high ranks.

The FLAW IN THE SOFTWARE IS AS FOLLOWS:
The examination time is strictly 30 minutes in which we have to solve 30
questions, which is not considered enough time. Most people feel if they have
more time then they could get a better score and that is exactly what we achieve with this flaw.
While giving this exam if we press right-click, we get a dialogue box
announcing that this function is not allowed. This is supposed to prevent
cheating but that is exactly what it implements. It seems the software developers have
not noticed that the TIME CLOCK STOPS giving the examinee complete freedom to
complete the exam in whatever time he thinks is necessary. When we click the
submit test button too the clock stops. We can slide the dialogue box to some
corner and can continue solving the question. Even when we finish the exam after doing
all this our answers are correctly processed and we get our results! For example
this year i gave the exam in about 50 minutes! The year before I gave the exam
in about 75 minutes!
A LOT MORE PEOPLE ALREADY KNOW THIS AND HAVE BEEN USING IT and getting
substantial ranks. The number of people using this can be somewhere in the 50s
according to me and many hundreds of people already know this. You wont me
believe if I start giving you specific examples, so lets not.

By the way if someone else (i mean some other organization) comes to know about
this you know what could happen so lets just prevent it from happening.

So consider this YOUR TOP PRIORITY to correct this flaw before it renders your
examination useless.

Yours truthfully,
Anonymous

And I did not receive any reply!!!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome dude!!!
    sry for the other comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do another thing. Just close the window every 10 minutes. It starts again from 10 mins back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fine Saurabh, but you can also share your positive experience about the preparation of Olympiad Exams. The positive experience shared would give better insights to the aspiring students. Thanks and all the best!

    ReplyDelete