Friday, January 14, 2011

My new laptop!


I recently bought a laptop and I am quite excited about it. It is a Dell XPS 14 L401x with the best in class configuration including Intel Core i7 740QM processor which can process data upto 2.93 GHz, 2 GB Nvidia GT425M GPU having 96 CUDA cores and 4GB of 1333MHz RAM. Even though it has such high specs it cost me only Rs.58500 after Rs5000 discount!(I know this amount is not small but this is the best config one can get in this price).
Performance: The high specs doesn't leave anything to complain. I can multitask easily, even if I open multiple heavy applications simultaneously the system does not seem to budge even a bit. Being a gaming enthusiast the games I could get my hands which includes COD:Black Ops, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Bioshock and Hitman:Blood money; ran pretty well in almost full settings and in high fps.But one complaint while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 is that the Frames per Second(fps) dropped below 30 whenever I tried to use my gun's scope, which made aiming difficult and I had to lower settings.
Look and feel: Well, the design of the laptop isn't the best available nor it is poor, middle of the order instead. The body is made up of Black and grey plastic which seems sturdy under use. The back cover of the laptop is anodized aluminum even though it might seem to be plastic. The laptop is bundled with several ports which includes 2 USB ports, 1 USB/eSATA port, 1 HDMI port,2 audio out, 1 ethernet port, power port and one port which I cannot identify!

Speakers: A section dedicated to speakers may seem odd but it is worth it. The 6 watt JBL speakers in the laptop is claimed to be the best in the planet by DELL! And so it is, it is the crispiest, clearest and loudest of all laptop speakers I have heard to date. I rarely use my headphones as I dont need to! The laptop also has a HD webcam which takes HD videos pretty well along with audio as it also has embedded microphones.
Battery life and software: Frankly I expected my laptop's battery to last longer. It usually lasts about 2 hours something minutes on full charge. But while playing demanding games, it comes down to 1 hour and something minutes. I can partially blame it on the demanding specs; The processor itself can eat 45W of power during burn. The included softwares include Skype, Mcafee Antivirus, Dell Dock and Roxio burn. The no. of softwares doesn't really matter as I have my sources! :P

5 comments:

  1. it's a nice laptop. but while reviewing a product, never use 'my' laptop. nd dont bring ur emotions into it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to add a bit of personal touch! I am not one of those reviewing companies that you find on the net.

    ReplyDelete